Remission At Last

Remission. NED. Cancer free. So many words revolving around my health and the cancer that has plagued my body for the better part of this year.

Today, we got exciting news from my most recent PET scan. My doctor said she feels confident that I am in remission. YAYYYY!!! 

Despite this news, there is a small spot still lighting up in my chest cavity— the same one from 3 months ago when I was tested halfway through my chemotherapy. My hematologist believes this is a false positive for remaining lymphoma and most likely is scar tissue from my biopsy. Nonetheless, I didn’t get to hear the words NED today. This was a bit disappointing. My doctors cannot yet say that there is no evidence of disease because there is a teeny-tiny-itsy-bitsy chance that there might still be cancer. 

Bummer. Don't we all want a clear answer? For some reason, I didn't get one. 70% of the people who have what I have get scans showing NED (no evidence of disease). 30% don’t. Of the 30%, only about 2% still have cancer. In other words, I’m looking at decent odds! Regardless, I’m one of the patients who was not given a black and white answer, but more of a “Here is what we think. Now we will give you time to heal and wait and see...” 

To answer a couple questions that a few of you are probably asking: 
1) Radiating the small dot is not an wise option because of it's sensitive location (my chest) and surrounding organs. 
2) A biopsy of the tissue would require a thoracic surgeon and is a very invasive and risky surgery. 
In both cases, the benefits do not outweigh the cost. 

So now we wait ...

I’ll follow up with my doctor in 6 weeks, get a CT scan in 3 months, and a PET scan in 6 months. Until then, we are believing I am in remission because those are the words my doctor confidently spoke.


I OVERCAME. 

Of course there is a small part of me that is frustrated at the lack of a cut and dry answer. But when in life do we get a guarantee? Hardly ever. Life is full of the “maybes” and “ifs” and “buts.” That is why I’m thankful I have Jesus. He is constant and unchanging. He is still watching out for me. And He is good.

Faith equals Jesus + nothing ... not even being cancer free. I’m choosing to keep clinging to this, even though my heart is playing a bit of catch-up. 

As I near the last leg of this journey, I want to thank each and every person who has partnered with us throughout this season. Your prayers, support, and encouragement mean more than you will ever know. You have been the hands and feet of Jesus to me in ways that I will never forget.

Popular Posts