Kingdom of the Sick

The Kingdom of the Sick…I am now here and unable to leave. This world is filled with IVs, orange colored bottles, and weakened humans fighting for their lives.

Sometimes it feels like a modernized version of the “ho-hum” in Pirates of the Caribbean. The yellowed walls and constant beeping seem to chant “Yo-ho… yo-ho… a sickened life for me.” Instead of chains, we get tall metal rods, bags of chemo, and long thin tubes attached to our veins. Instead of torture, we get extreme nausea and waves of fatigue. We too have a horizon – one of health and normalcy, but it feels distant and unattainable.

No one enters the Kingdom of the Sick by choice and none leave the same person who arrived. For better or for worse, this place changes a person. Some changes are physical—scars, bruises, hair loss. However, many changes are the kind that alter our very essence. This world tests the core of who you are, demanding answers to life’s most daunting questions at your weakest state. No, the Kingdom of the Sick is not for the faint of heart.

Being here and in your 20s is lonely.

We youth are the few and far between. I am supposed to be in my prime and have the world at my fingertips. I am supposed to be able to do anything I want to do. Yet here I am…caught in the limbo between what is and what ought to be…the life I have and the life I imagined.

I thought I would be living in my own apartment, starting a new job, and forging my way into the business world after an equipping 4 years of college. Instead of memos and meetings, I’m juggling appointments and medications. I traded the business world for the medical one.

Oddly enough, I feel ready for this.

Life thus far has taught me that I can do more than I imagine because my strength is not my own. I always wanted to change the world-- I just didn’t know it would be this one. The Kingdom of the Sick cannot trap me forever. Soon I will break free and begin my transition back to the Land of the Living. Until then, I’ll keep putting one foot in front of the other—like the pirates walking under the water. It’s weighty, difficult and full of resistance, but possible. Trudging step by step, soon I won’t feel like I’m drowning. Soon my lungs will fill with air again.

Popular Posts