A Big Dream in a Little Heart

The following is my support letter for my missions trip to Haiti this summer:

Every person has a moment in their life when they realize the gravity of living in a fallen world. It’s that moment when innocence is lost and compassion is gained. For me, that moment was on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 when the 7.0 earthquake devastated the already poverty stricken island of Haiti. When I heard the news and began watching pictures and videos plastered all over every TV, computer, and iphone, it “hit me” . . . there were actually people outside of my Williamson County bubble who were not only hurting, but also needing help. In that moment God birthed a big dream in this little heart.

When the earthquake hit Haiti I remember sitting in my living room on the floor crying harder than I had ever cried before. God was beginning to break my heart for people very different from me. I was ready to drop my life, fly to Haiti, and be the hands and feet of Christ. I was so convinced that I was going to go to Haiti that I wouldn’t let the issue rest until finally my parents were just honest with me and told me, “Callan, we understand your heart and we want you to get to go to Haiti, but we just don’t have peace in this timing.” I was so angry. My heart was hurting for the Haitian people and in my mind the only thing standing in my way was my parents. However, through many painful moments of pleading with the Father, I let it go. I realized that God understood my heart and that I needed to trust in His timing. Little did I know that I was not yet ready to go to Haiti. God grew me, shaped me, and broke me over the following two years to prepare me for the time that I could finally go to Haiti . . . and that time is now.

That’s why I am packing my bags and leaving June 8-14, 2012 for Jacmel, Haiti to love on 70 orphans at the Hands and Feet facility. I have been chosen to be a part of the first ever Show Hope Student Team to Haiti. I know that Haiti isn’t the safest place and there are always travel advisories, but that doesn’t scare me. What scares me is standing face to face with Jesus and knowing He called me and I didn’t have the courage to go. What I need most right now is not courage, but faith to believe that if He has called me, He will provide. This is where you come in. I need to raise $1700 by May 11, 2012 with half due immediately. Whether through prayer or financial support, your gift will be treasure at the feet of Jesus as we help these precious children.

Like many other 16 year olds in America, I love my comfortable life. I cherish my family, like my nice home, enjoy new clothes, and I’m saving up for that first car. However, I’m learning that there is more to life and I’ve been blessed to be a blessing. God doesn’t love me more because I was born in America. He’s just given me more to steward. I have a great job at Merridee’s Breadbasket, a bakery near my house, and have already written a check from my personal funds. If lead, will you join me in doing the same?

Before the earthquake hit, I was not disturbed by my “perfect life.” Yet, I am older now. I can drive and am making more and more decisions on my own. As my Dad has always told me, with freedom comes responsibility. God has showed me the need and I am responsible to do something about it. Until I can adopt and bring the orphans home to me, I will go to the orphans. I am just a 16 year old girl with a BIG dream in a little heart.



***If you are interested in more information about financially supporting me, please shoot me an email: histreasure1896@comcast.net ***


Gratefully yours,

Callan Kreidel

Popular Posts